This is for the following people who have these symptoms
• You ran Power chute software and noticed your run time is less than it should be.
• You replaced your batteries with new one(s) and your run time is still very low.
• Your Battery LED lights are flashing / blinking without a full load.
• Your UPS program tells you, “UPS battery is discharged” from power chute software.
Follow these steps to repair this un-documented solution.
***You need the smart-UPS serial cable to do this process. It is black, not gray. ***
• Close power chute software, and stop the “APC – UPS power chute” service.
• Open HyperTerminal. Start > Programs > Accessories > Hyperterminal > Hyperterminal
• Enter in a name, such as APC repair .
• Be sure the settings are as follows : 2400 Baud, 8 data bits, 1 Stop bit, no parity, Protocol is Xon/Xoff .
• You should have an empty window. Press “SHIFT + Y” . You will get back “ SM ”
• Enter “ 1 ” two times, with a two second gap between the two. (Two cursor flashes)
• You should see “ PROG ”
• Enter “ 0 ”. This will report back the current state the UPS is in. A perfect running APC UPS will be at “ 8C ”
• Press and hold the “ – “ minus key to program the UPS to the correct state. You can cycle through the options until you get to “8C”
• Press the “ + ” plus key once you have selected the correct constant value.
• Press “ SHIFT + R ”, it should say “ BYE ” You’re Done!
• Press “ SHIFT + Y ”, Enter “ 0 ” to verify your Program took. If it does, you have fixed your problem. If not repeat the process again.
• Close Hyperterminal, restart the UPS service, and re-run Power Chute software. You’re UPS will show the correct run time.
This Info was provided by APC tech support back in June of 2006.